We protect the civil rights of people with disabilities in Florida.
Disability Rights Florida is a nonprofit organization that provides legal advocacy and rights protection for adults and children with a wide range of disabilities. Our staff attorneys, advocates and investigators address civil rights violations, abuse and neglect, and discrimination specifically in these areas:
- Disputes involving Medicaid eligibility;
- Discrimination in housing, architectural barriers, service animals, transportation, and access to public and private programs and services;
- Abuse, neglect, and rights violations in an institution, prison or jail;
- Discrimination in employment as well as accessing, maintaining or regaining employment, and vocational rehabilitation;
- Rights to a least restrictive environment, privacy, choice, dignity, and other basic human and civil rights.
- Barriers to a free and appropriate education, K-12 special education, transition services, and post-secondary education.
- Access to mental health and support services that provide individualized treatment including adults and students with psychiatric disabilities.
- Rights to effective and accessible communication like American Sign Language and accessible print and electronic information.
- Access to services that will enable veterans with service-related injuries a successful transition to civilian life.
- Investigation of stolen or misused funds, exploitation, or neglect by representative payees.
- Voting registration, vote casting, and accessible polling places.
- Access to assistive technology and devices such as communication devices and power wheelchairs.
- Supported Decision-Making as an alternative to guardianship.
If we can’t be of direct assistance, we refer people to other sources of help.
All services are free and confidential.